Why optimise for search engines?
- SEO is a high return marketing investment.
- It is about the words that searchers type into a search box.
- Add keywords to web pages that will increase search rankings.
- Keywords tell search engines what the page is about.
- Search engines index and rank pages according to keywords.
- Get more organic traffic from search engines to web pages.
- Top 3 positions get 50% of clicks
- Attention drops off as users scroll down
- 18% Click through rate for rank (1)
- 10% Click through rate for rank (2)
- 7% Click through rate for rank (3)
- 1% Click through rate for rank (10)
Long Tail Keywords
- Long tail keywords are 70% of the bulk search volume.
- Long tail keywords are a large volume of less-searched keywords.
- Long tail keywords converts 2.5 times better than head keywords.
- Long tail keywords can catch people later in the conversion cycle.
- Long tail keyword searchers are often ready to buy.
Which keywords to target with SEO
- Keywords have different search volume trends
- Seasonal events impact on user intent and trends
- SEO involves ongoing research, experimentation and improvement.
- Some keywords result in more traffic that never converts.
Do extensive research about keywords. Research the keyword demand to attract the right audience. Keyword research can predict changes in demand - pivot products, services and content to what the audience is actively seeking.
Select keywords for the main subject and sub categories of pages
- Are the keywords relevant?
- Are they head or long-tail keywords?
- Will searchers find what they look for?
- Will searchers like what they find?
- Will the traffic be lucrative?
Different tools and online resources can help us to gain insights about keywords.
- Google Trends: http://www.google.com/insights/search
- Google Keyword Tool: http://adwords.google.com/keywordplanner: filter by location, category, subject of website. It provides competition and global/local volume.
- Google Search Console: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/
- Facebook Ads for keyword Research
- Microsoft Bing Ads Intelligence: http://advertising.microsoft.com/small-business/adcenter-downloads/microsoft-advertising-intelligence
- Free Basic Keyword Demand: https://freekeywords.wordtracker.com/
- Adwords keyword search: Specify non-paid visits in the search and filter for the local market. Calculate the click-through rate for keywords.
- Adwords: Set up a campaign to track impressions and conversion rate for keywords
- Search engines: Search for the keywords in search engines and then learn from websites of high ranking competitors how to rank higher.
Other SEO Tools
- Google Webmaster Tool: In the crawl section select “Fetch As Google” which indexes the site very fast.